Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Fortune Cookies

I confess! I haven't been zealous about posting weekly fortune cookies. I promise to do better.

But, I had hoped that the last one, "Zen golfers have no hope" would have produced more comments or questions. Isn't saying that I have no hope admitting defeat?

It's not that at all. "Hope" implies wishing... wishing for something in the future. In contrast, Zen discipline is being fully present in the here and now, paying attention, accepting ownership for what I can control and letting go of what I can't.

So, to hope for something is very "un-Zen-like," if I can coin that term. Better to get my mind out of the future and focus on now.

Question: what does the new cookie say?

(Also... I can't resist a little "un-Zen-like" bragging. See today's "Review" post.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home