Tuesday, October 25, 2005

What's Important??

Yesterday, I sent out an email to all my contacts to announce this blog, and I got back a number of complimentary messages and heard from some old friends.

But I also got a shocker. One note was from a high school friend who I had just seen five weeks ago at a class reunion. (I won't tell you the number, but it is a Big one. Through the years, I hadn't done a good job of keeping contact, and we'd only begun to reconnect in the last few years by email. His wife was also a classmate, and our friendship extends all the way back to her second birthday party. We enjoyed looking at pictures of that long-ago party at the reunion.

My friends had been helpful to me in providing feedback and editorial advice on a golf novel I'd written, and we had been talking about getting together for some golf, as both of them play and live on a Hilton Head course. At the reunion I saw again what fine people they both are, and we renewed our vows to get together.

But that isn't going to happen. Two weeks after the reunion, upon going to the ER for persistent back pain, she was found to have cancer in her spine that had metastasized throughout her body. Nothing to do but medicate her for pain, keep her comfortable, and surround her with family.


What's this have to do with GolfingZen? Everything! Eastern Spiritualism teaches that we don't own anything, that nothing is permanent, that everything changes.

The lesson: if there is someone out there that you care about... that you'd like to share a round with... don't wait. Fill your today with people you resonate with, because that particular tomorrow may never come.

Good night, Sal.

4 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Blogger weblogz said...

Google Base: A New Rival for eBay and Craigslist?
Rob Hof ChannelAdvisor CEO Scot Wingo notes that some folks in Europe caught a screen shot of Google Base, which looks to be a potential rival to eBay, before Google apparently took it down.
Hey you've got a great blog here, the best I've seen so far, keep up the good job! A few days ago I was surfing the web and came across this cool site on Apply for loans online. It features all sorts of interesting information on Apply for loans online and makes it super easy to apply online. Now I know that people want fast services I recommend they visit Apply for loans online for quick and hassle-free service.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Jerome Jackson said...

Hip is not enough
There was a time, way back in the late 1990s, when coolhunting was still cool, when nearly every Madison Avenue ad agency wanted a resident hipster to interpret the spending habits of those inscrutable ...
Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to private road construction on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like private road construction!

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Erik @ The Sand Trap said...

You're really gonna want to watch that comment spam...

If you're interested in writing some stuff for The Sand Trap, send me an email. We'd take care of the maintenance of all that "stuff" for you...

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Anny said...

Just wanted to say that I've sent some notes I gathered from your blog including What's Important?? for research on What is the purpose of life which I'm helping with, with so thanks a lot Still Learning.... Anny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home